Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bluebonnet books, tigers, and curriculum, oh my!!

Since I have started teaching, it has been a goal of mine to read ALL of the Bluebonnet books. For those of you non-Texans, these are 20 books chosen by committees from TLA (Texas Library Association) as outstanding books for elementary aged students 3rd-5th grade. Students in Texas can read 5 books of the 20 books and then vote on their favorite. Bluebonnet Books Website 

Yesterday, I finished reading all 20 for this year!! I know, such a nerdy thing to be excited about but it felt so awesome to have read all of them! When I was student teaching, there was a teacher who had all her students be eligible to vote which is NOT as easy as it sounds. I am really hoping that this is the year I can also do that. :) There is also a Lone Star list for teens and I have been reading some of those but I'm not sure if I will finish all of them.

Now onto the tigers part. Like I mentioned, Friday was Blake's birthday. Our niece and nephew called him to wish him a happy birthday. Kynleigh proceeded to sing "Happy birthday to you, you live in a zoo, you look like a monkey, and you smell like one too!" Then Austin (3 years old) gets on the phone and yells "Happy birthday! You smell like a tiger!" :) So cute. I adore them and since they live 6 hours away, we don't get to see them as much as we would like. I would love it if someone would go ahead and create a teleportation system... 

Curriculum... so my coworker has been sick and she needed someone to fill in for her on the technology curriculum writing team tonight. She asked me to go for her and I was excited and also nervous. Curriculum is something that I am interested in (obviously since that is what I am getting my masters in) but didn't sign up for this team since I already have a lot on my plate.:) I really enjoyed getting to work on writing the curriculum and thinking about how we could write the lessons and assessments to not only help the students learn in the best way but also to help teachers. Teachers have SO much on their plate (pardon the repeated expression) and we need all the help we can get. For instance, I did not find out about the UT shooter until 7:30 tonight when I got home. I felt so dumb reading through all the Facebook posts and having no clue any of this was happening and some of my friends and family were in danger. I am glad everyone is ok but it is so weird to be so out of the loop for most of the day. I don't know how to change this but I guess it comes with the territory of being a teacher. 

Speaking of, I still have 2 more things to work on for work before I can go to bed. Better get back to it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment